Thursday, July 14, 2011

Full Moons, Cardinals, and the Holy Spirit

Well it's my last night in Kentucky.  It has been a wonderful, albeit intense, week.  My days have been filled with learning, yet it never felt like "class."  Our professor, Dr. Seamands, is truly a "pastor's pastor."  He begins each class in the morning with a devotion and message, which smoothly segues into our time of learning.  But not only do we learn together, but we pray together, and share together.  We've had some wonderful theological discussions, but it doesn't seem at all like "class."
 
And so tonight, as I was reflecting back on this past week, I ventured outside to take in the beauty of the evening, and to spend some quiet time with God.  It's 72 here, as in degrees!  There was a slight breeze, and the air was wonderful.  And as I walked out, my breath was snatched away by a beautiful, beacon-like, and oh-so-full moon.  And, earlier this evening, my new friend Carolyn (who is a UM pastor in Weston, WV) and I were walking across the campus after having dinner together.  As we rounded a corner, the most brilliant red Cardinal flew just in front of us.  He landed in a tree, and as I watched him, Carolyn directed my attention to the green lawn just below, and there, sitting very still and being intensely cute, was a bunny!

Now, in and of itself, this makes for a wonderful ending to a wonderful week.  But what really struck me, in this time and in this place, is the fact that there are 2 things that have always reminded me of God's presence, and whenever I see either of them, I stop to soak in, and ponder the presence of the Holy Spirit.  And what are those two things?  Well, cardinals and a full moon.... both of which I experienced this evening.  Both of which I experienced after an intense day of learning, sharing, and prayer.  Both of which I experienced at the end of a week of growing in God's grace..... fulfilling a dream to not only be a pastor, but to be the best pastor that I can be..... that God called me to be, and that God created me to be.  

Tomorrow I fly home.  It will be sooooo good to be back home with my family and my church.  Thank you for the privilege of returning to school so that I may continue to grow.  Thank you for walking with me for the next few years as a student here at Asbury as we, (that is, God, you, and me), partner together to become all that we can be for God's kingdom, for future disciples, and for our own spiritual growth.  And I thank God for the privilege of serving as your pastor.  It is an honor, and a joy. 

I have missed you all, and I very much look forward to seeing you in worship on Sunday!  Grace and peace, Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment