Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Did I Ever Tell You About The Time........

Growing up, I was exposed to the Bible, especially those stories that we usually think of as "kid" stories; that is, Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, Daniel and the Lions Den, Jonah and the Big Fish, (or Whale, as has become popular).  After that were the stories of Jesus, especially baby Jesus in a manger.  As I got a little older, my elementary knowledge of things biblical expanded with other stories and characters such as the Apostle Paul.  Of course, even as a child, we knew the "kid friendly" version of the crucifixion, but mostly through the post-view eyes of the resurrection.  But, how did all of this fit in together?  Why are the stories important?  How did one story influence others?  Did Adam and Eve journey to Bethlehem, where they were thrown in to the Lion's Den?  And, weren't they rescued by the Apostle Paul, who wrote that famous bumper sticker "The Lord is my Shepherd"?  And, who the heck are these people "the Jews?"

As I became a young adult, I became fascinated with the writings of the prophet Isaiah, and (what I perceived to be) the stories of Jesus.  But wait!!!  Isaiah was in the Old Testament, which was..... BEFORE Jesus..... wasn't it?  And even though I would read the Bible, and try to understand what it was saying to me, I still did not have a clear "framework" of the stories and their chronology.  To me, they were just that..... stories..... probably designed to get me to think about God.  But, what am I supposed to think about God? 

Then, years after Steve and I were married, God.... through the work of the Holy Spirit.... put within our hearts a hunger for the Bible.  As we learned the chronology, the stories, and the characters, suddenly the scripture readings in church and the sermons became deeply meaningful, because they now made sense.    But, how..... you might ask...... did you learn all of this.  Seems daunting..... overwhelming!  Well, in some ways it was, but in some ways it wasn't.  When God sets God's "mind" to something, it happens.

To cut to the chase...... we entered a basic bible study which dealt with the chronology and the characters and places in the Bible.  In addition to that, we decided to get a wonderful tool called "The Daily Chronological Bible" which synthesizes all of the bible stories into one cohesive whole, divided out into one year's worth of daily readings, along with commentaries.  But, that takes discipline!!  Yeah, it does.  So, that reminds me..... Did I ever tell you about the time that Steve and I were reading that daily bible together?  We spent time every day, usually during a mealtime, to read that day's reading.  Well, luckily for me, my husband is very disciplined, for in those times when I would want to blow off the day's reading, he would read it to me.  I remember one day that I told him, if we're gonna read that thing today, you're gonna have to follow me around while I vacuum and read it out loud to me."  Well, that's exactly what he did.  And, with his diligence and committment and willingness to hold me accountable, we finished that one year bible a couple of months early.  And our lives were changed!

So, here's my challenge.  If your basic knowledge of the "framework" of the Bible is..... well, less than accurate..... get yourself a "Daily Chronological Bible" and begin that journey!  Maybe we'll start a class?  But, just remember, if you need someone to hold you accountable, ask Steve to follow you around while you vacuum!

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of reading the Bible in chronological order. Is anyone else interested?

    ReplyDelete