Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Back to School

I arrived in Lexington Kentucky around 1:00pm on Friday, and I have not stopped since.  After leaving the airport and arriving at the Asbury Inn, I stowed my gear and took a walk around the town (Wilmore KY, which is just a few miles outside of Lexington).  It was amazingly green, as there had been rainshowers all week long.  And, the temperature was nice too, somewhere in the 80's.  By 5:00, I had returned to the Asbury Inn for a gathering of those of us who are beginning this new adventure called "going back to school."  There were introductions, dinner together on the campus, and then a short program overview.  Saturday was a day-long orientation, including lunch together, a tour of the campus and library, and dinner together off campus.  Sunday was a welcome day off in which I spent the morning in worship at Wilmore UMC, and then lunch and a walk around town.  It was a beautiful day, and a little warm for the folks in KY, but not for this Texas girl!  The rest of the day and evening was spent in silence and solitude.

There are two different classes in session this week, and the class in which I am involved has only 5 people,.....we are a good mix.  4 ladies, and 1 guy.  3 clergy, and 2 laity.  2 United Methodists, 1 Wesleyan (slightly different from the UMC), and 2 others from other denominations.  This has made for wonderful conversation and dialogue.  We are becoming fast friends, and with only 5 of us there, it is easier to get to know each other more quickly. 

In the whirlwind of travel, orientation, books and reading, and paper preparation, there is a lot I have already learned.  So, what is the most valuable thing/lesson that I have learned so far?  I have re-learned to spend time with God.  Purely and simply.  In addition to the theological discussions and lectures, we start our day with 1 beautiful and sacred hour devoted to opening ourselves up to, and centering on God..... and on the work of the Holy Spirit.  We begin with devotion time, a kind of meditation from our professor, and prayer.  And today we even celebrated Holy Communion.  It made a difference in the day, and it was a holy difference. 

I am grateful for this time to come and grow in God's grace.  And, I am grateful for my Davis family.  I will pray for you while I am gone.  Will you pray for me as well?  Grace and peace to you, my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment